New Podcast, more on Croydon Council, Saving The Environment With Economics & how will things be a year from now? Sputnik Interview, Podcast rankings and a round-up from the Web.
In our latest Podcast we discuss the Covid Vaccine, Brexit Trade Talks and recent developments in the Culture Wars. We all know the state of Croydon Council. Harry Fone who has campaigned with us in Croydon and is the Grassroots Campaign Manager for the TaxPayers’ Alliance has written in Conservative Home, on how others can avoid the fate of Croydon Council. Josh Ascough writes about Market Environmentalism, and how you can save the environment with economics. Mike spoke with Sputnik Radio about the Brexit Trade talks. The Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society debated the motion “This time next year life will be back to normal”. Mike opposed the motion and we’ve published the speech.
The Croydon Constitutionalists Podcast is ranked 183 in Politics in the UK (according to podstatus.com). Not bad for a local group. Thanks to all who listen and all our fantastic guests. We’ve highlighted some of our most popular episodes.
From the web we highlight Katharine Birbalsingh interviewed by Jeremy Paxman, for insightful thoughts on US Politics watch Megyn Kelly on Triggerpod, and from our friends at TheFullBrexit “Despised: Why the Modern Left Loathes the Working Class” book launch and panel discussion featuring the author Paul Embery.
Podcast – Covid Vaccine, Deal or No Deal & the Culture Wars
We discuss the Covid Vaccine, Brexit Trade Talks and recent developments in the Culture Wars which includes Anti-Woke parties – Reform
, Libertarians (of various sorts).
The Croydon Constitutionalists Podcast is ranked 183 in Politics in the UK (according to podstatus.com). Not bad for a local group. Thanks to all who listen and all our fantastic guests. If you haven't tried it before why not listen to these popular episodes:
- Podcast sensation with his brother James (and twitter star in his own right) we were joined by Dick Delingpole to discuss the US Elections and Lockdown http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/podcast-episode-46/
- Former MEP Bill Etheridge joined us to talk about his time in politics, the demise of UKIP and the future of Classical Liberalism in this country http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/podcast-episode-32/
- Councillor Jeet Bains talked about housing and alternatives to Croydon Council's blight of housing in the borough http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/podcast-episode-28/
- David Kurten the new Heritage Party Leader shared his views on; the COVID Lockdown, Mayor Khan, Woke Culture, Educational Standards & Brexit as well as discussing his upcoming campaign http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/podcast-episode-24-lockdown-exit-criteria-town-hall-rich-list-an-interview-with-david-kurten/
- Dan Liddicott, the former Chairman of the Libertarian Party UK, discussed Covid restrictions, his resignation from the Libertarian Party and his new initiative: Independent Libertarians http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/podcast-episode-43/
- Dr Lee Jones, founder of The Full Brexit, discussed Hong Kong, the left-wing case for leaving the EU, his career in Academia, and the woke culture in universities http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/podcast-episode-35/
- Peter Sonnex of the Brexit Party, Maureen Martin of the Christian Peoples Alliance and Hoong-Wai Cheah of UKIP discussed Christianity & UK Politics http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/podcast-34/
- Alasdair Stewart, the former Chairman of the Croydon Conservative Federation, discussed his thoughts on politics in Croydon http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/podcast-episode-30/
- And finally… We were joined by Sean Finch then of the Libertarian Party and Hoong-Wai Cheah of UKIP to discuss libertarianism and how their respective parties approach policy making from a libertarian perspective http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/podcast-episode-19-libertarianism-libertarian-party-ukip-perspectives/
We have many more great Podcasts and Pubcasts you can listen to http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/podcasts/
How to avoid Croydon’s fate
Harry Fone the Grassroots Campaign Manager for the TaxPayers’ Alliance has written in Conservative Home, on how to avoid the fate of Croydon Council.
“Between 1997 and 2010, before the cuts, Croydon Council raised rates 13 out of 14 years, leaving it with the seventh most expensive council tax charges in London”
“Frankly, access to loans from the PWLB was all too easy. One former council leader described the process as “absolutely bonkers” having requested hundreds of millions of pounds only to receive it “three days later.”
“As Council Tax increased, both Negrini and Lacey repeatedly failed local residents, but enjoyed gold plated pay at their expense. Council leaders shouldn’t assume that paying top dollar for chief executives will benefit taxpayers. All too often it ends up costing residents dear.”
Full article: https://www.conservativehome.com/localgovernment/2020/12/harry-fone-how-to-avoid-croydons-fate.html
Why it will take more than a year to get back to normal
The Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society debated the motion “This time next year life will be back to normal”
Mike Swadling opposed the debate, and his speech is available at http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/it-will-take-more-than-a-year-to-get-back-to-normal/.
“let me offer some hope, the pandemic levels of death ended in June, when death rates thankfully returned to the 5 year normal. Life with Covid became endemic. Predictions of a second waves of deaths have proved thankfully untrue”
“Pre-lockdown a 1000 people a day were diagnosed with Cancer. That has largely stopped for the last 9 months….The consequences a year from now, of the shutting down of large parts of our health service don’t bear contemplation”
“If you believe these freedoms, all these freedoms, will be back with us, and life will return to normal in a year from now, I have a bridge to sell you. Only under the current law I’m not allowed to trade”
“We have no right to protest, the churches are closed, drones were following hill walkers and police ask you to report those breaking the rules, and government literally banned couples who live in separate houses from meeting up”
Full article http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/it-will-take-more-than-a-year-to-get-back-to-normal/.
Market Environmentalism – Saving The Environment With Economics
Josh Ascough writes about Market Environmentalism, and how you can save the environment with economics
“as we get richer, we place a higher value on this good and are more willing and able to keep it clean. So humans; as their incomes increase, have a better environment overall”
“all human activities have trade-offs, and one of the core differences between humans and other animals; being that other animals must adapt themselves to their environment, whereas humans must adapt their environment to them”
“The profit motive and the incentive to maximise the value for long term, will create jobs to guard the land from those littering or damaging the land that would disturb the species located within its vicinity”
Full article - http://croydonconstitutionalists.uk/market-environmentalism/
The EU Believes That Our Sovereignty Belongs to Them! – Sputnik Interview
Boris Johnson, he prepares for showdown talks with European Commission President, Ursula Von Der Leyon. The European Union will be hoping their Queen can deliver checkmate, as the longest running game of political chess in modern times continues. Sputnik Radio spoke with Michael Swadling from the Croydon Constitutionalists to find out how important this meeting is for Brexit negotiations and why it could be the end for Boris Johnson if he fails to protect British sovereignty.
Audio - https://soundcloud.com/radiosputnik/the-eu-believes-that-our
Listen to the great Katharine Birbalsingh interviewed by Jeremy Paxman at https://play.acast.com/s/paxman/katharinebirbalsingh, for insightful thoughts on US Politics watch Megyn Kelly on Triggerpod (video below), and from our friends at TheFullBrexit “Despised: Why the Modern Left Loathes the Working Class” book launch and panel discussion featuring the author Paul Embery (also below).
If you think you know someone who’s interested in a non-woke world view. Why not get them to sign-up to these emails.
Please get in touch if you would like to write for us and take care during lockdown.
Dan Heaton & Mike Swadling