SEM PTSA General Meeting/ Morning Coffee Tomorrow!
Join us for the next PTSA Morning Coffee!
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
Townview Library 8AM to 9:15AM
Don't miss another great chance to mix and mingle with PTSA!
Please attend and feel free to bring a small side item (donuts, danish, bagels, etc) with you!
As always, Starbucks coffee will be provided!
to the February PTSA No Fuss Fundraiser
$9,720 was donated by SEM parents and community members! Wow! Thanks for all your generosity. We plan to purchase some much needed calculator sets in the very near future...stay tuned!
Our students are attending one of the most honored and highest ranked schools in DISD and the nation! It is the mission of the SEM PTSA to enrich and enhance SEM resources and support our one-of-a-kind math and engineering program! We don't invest in overpriced and low margin gimmick fundraisers! Instead we have started our once-a-year check writing campaign.
Free Prom Attire!
Click on flyer to register
PTSA Board for 2019-2020
Congratulations to our PTSA nominating committee members, Alejandra Madrigales, Erika Wijaya Tan and Jennifer Fitzgerald. Kim Pettit is the alternate.
A motion was passed and approved by general membership to select the committee volunteers at the January general PTSA meeting. They will be preparing the slate of board members for next year. If you are interested in serving or know of someone who might be interested in serving on a position described below, please contact Alejandra Madrigales, the committee chair, at email@example.com. Officer positions include President, 1st VP in charge of programs & activities, 2nd VP in charge of Communication, Secretary and Treasurer. These are very important jobs that serve our students and teachers. Please consider helping the PTSA and volunteer. Please state some reasons on why you are interested in the position or why you think the person you are nominating is a good fit.
The president shall:
VP of Programs
- Coordinate the work of the officers and committees of the association in order that the PTSA purposes may be promoted;
- Preside at all meetings of the membership and executive board;
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating and financial reconciliation committees.
- Establish the schedule of executive board and membership meetings for the year.
- Appoint a parliamentarian;
- Appoint standing committee chairs
- Work with the presidents of other Townview PTSAs.
- All duties to ensure the PTA stays in good standing with the National PTA organization.
- Conduct any other business as it becomes necessary.
The VP of Programs shall:
VP of Communications
- Serve as aide-to-the-president;
- Be in charge of Programs and Activities, including Hospitality/Teacher Appreciation Week, Morning Coffees, various educational & social programs, spirit wear, fundraising committee, the internships and community service committee
- Preside in the absence of the president (in their designated order)
The VP of Communications shall:
- Be in charge of Membership and Communications, including membership and various communication methods - newsletter, social media, website, volunteers & directory, translation team, and linking communication between campus, parents community and Townview
- Chair the Life Membership Committee
- Preside in the absence of the president (in their designated order)
The secretary shall:
- Record and maintain the minutes of all meetings of the membership and the executive board;
- Keeps the official PTSA record book
- Send notice of meetings of the membership and of the executive board;
- Be responsible for correspondence;
- Collect and preserve documents relating to the history of the association;
- Present a written report to the association as the official history to be adopted at the annual meeting
- Maintain the required documents of the association to include: Texas PTA Foundations, Leader Orientation completion lists, membership rosters, and adopted plans of work;
- Prepare sign‐in sheets and make printed copies of the minutes available as handouts at the meetings.
The treasurer shall:
- Have custody of all the funds of the association;
- Serve as the chair of the budget and finance committee;
- Present a written and verbal financial report at executive board and membership meetings and as requested by the executive board or membership;
- Maintain books of account and records including bank statements, receipts, budgets, invoices, paid receipts and canceled checks in accordance with the records retention policy;
- Make disbursements in accordance with the budget adopted by the membership;
- Be authorized to sign on bank accounts;
- Be authorized to sign tax documents, if the president is prohibited by terms of employment;
- Present a preliminary annual report, i.e. budget to actual, at the last membership meeting;
- After the end of the fiscal year, complete and file all necessary tax documents and present books of account and records to the financial reconciliation committee.
Congratulations to everyone who competed in the DISD Science Fair this year!
DISD Science Fair Results
Sneha Chandak, 9th Grade, Animal Science, First Place!
Thu Le, 9th grade, Energy; Physical, First Place!
Aayesha Syed Ibrahim, 9th Grade, Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, First Place!
Rohan Cherukuru, 10th Grade, Biomedical Engineering, First Place!
Janavi Chadha and Jacob Acosta, 12th and 11th Grade, Environmental Engineering, First Place. Also awarded the STARS award!
All of these students advanced to the Dallas Regional Science Fair. Best of luck!
Senior Spring Dates
April 5 - Senior Night at Celebration Station
April 24- Panoramic Photo at 11am
May 17 - Senior Prom at Sheraton Dallas
Senior Week events:
May 20 - Dallas Zoo
May 21 - Heritage Village
May 22 - Senior Picnic at Southern Cross
May 23 - Dallas Museum of Art
May 24 - Location TBD
May 28 - The Majestic Theater
Staying in Town for Spring Break? Try this!
Pi Day 3/14/2019
THURSDAY, MARCH 14, 2019 FROM 10AM - 1PM
SAMMONS PARK - 2403 Flora Street, Dallas, TX 75201
In partnership with talkSTEM, AT&T Performing Arts Center invites you to join us for the third annual Pi Day Math Festival featuring walkSTEM.
The festival will showcase the many ways in which math impacts our world – in art, nature, science and more. Enjoy fun math-related activities from a variety of exhibitors.
Participating organizations include:
· Dallas Zoo
· Southern Methodist University
· Dallas Museum of Art
· Microsoft Shop at NorthPark Center
· Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas
· Museum of Geometric and MADI Art
· Dallas Innovation Alliance
· Bold Idea
· Love Field Airport
· Texas Legends
· Dallas ISD Environmental Education Center
· Dallas County Community College District
· Dallas Opera
· UT Arlington (Math Dept and Architecture & Urban Planning Dept)
· Dallas Public Library
· Dallas Arboretum
· City Lab High School (Dallas ISD)
· Perot Museum of Nature and Science
· UT Southwestern Medical Center
· Dallas Jazz Piano Society
NEW THIS YEAR!
STEM in the Dallas Arts District: A Special Pi Day Panel Discussion
Moderated by Sam Baker, KERA’s Senior Editor and Morning Edition Host
10:30 – 11:15 a.m.
STEM is everywhere! Learn how science, technology, engineering and math play a part in bringing the arts to life in the Dallas Arts District during this family-friendly conversation. Representatives from the Perot Museum of Nature & Science, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, the Nasher Sculpture Center and the Dallas Opera will discuss how they use STEM in their careers every day.
The Pi Day Math Festival is open to families, teachers and interested grown-ups. No unaccompanied minors permitted.
The event is FREE, but please RSVP here
Student Night at the Dallas Holocaust Museum
The Junior Board at the Dallas Holocaust Museum will be holding a speaker event featuring Holocaust Survivor Max Glauben on Sunday, March 31st. High school and college students are invited to learn about Mr. Glauben’s experiences under Nazi rule and discuss how to be an Upstander, or someone who stands up for the rights of others, in today's society. The purpose of this speaker event is to educate the youth of today so that they may create a better tomorrow. An optional tour of the museum will be available from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. before the event, and the main program is from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. After Mr. Glauben speaks, students will be invited to break into small discussion groups to talk about the steps they can take to be Upstanders. All high school and college students who are interested are welcome to come to this free event. Free food and parking will be provided. More information here.
Job Opportunity at Golf Tournament
The President's Volunteer Service Award
SEM Students! Please read the attached information about the PVSA award and how to apply!
You must include the coversheet with your signed log(s). NOTE! Your application is NOT complete WITHOUT the signed logs AND COVERSHEET!
SEM will certify current year hours only (ie, your fiscal year must encompass the majority of 2018) for individual students. Students wishing to apply for the award for the 2018-2019 school year must catalog their hours with the required signatures and submit them IN ONE PDF FILE WITH COVERSHEET to Michelle Chow-Agee at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 17, 2019 at 11:59pm CST.
SEM follows the national guidelines available on their website. For more information specific to SEM, see the
PVSA instruction sheet, PVSA best practices, and sample excel spreadsheet. And don't forget your COVERSHEET!
Reconocimiento Presidencial de Servicio al Voluntariado (PVSA)
Estudiantes de SEM! ¡Por favor lee la información adjunta sobre el Reconocimiento Presidencial de Servicio al Voluntariado (PVSA) y cómo solicitarlo!
Debe incluir la carta de presentación con sus registros firmados. ¡NOTA! ¡Su solicitud NO estará completa SIN los registros firmados y la CARTA DE PRESENTACIÓN!
SEM solo certificará las horas del año en curso (es decir, su año fiscal debe abarcar la mayoría de 2018) para estudiantes individuales. Los estudiantes que deseen solicitar el premio para el año escolar 2018-2019 deben catalogar sus horas con las firmas requeridas y enviarlas EN UN ARCHIVO PDF CON CARTA DE PRESENTACIÓN a Michelle Chow-Agee en email@example.com antes del 17 de marzo de 2019 a las 11: 59pm CST.
SEM sigue los requerimientos disponibles en su sitio web. Para obtener más información específica de SEM, consulte la Hoja de Instrucciones de PVSA, Prácticas más Comunes de PVSA y muestra de hoja de Excel. ¡Y no te olvides de tu CARTA DE PRESENTACIÓN!
5 - PTSA General Meeting 8am in the Library
6 - SAT Exam for Juniors
6 - PTSA Board Meeting 6:30p in Rm 211
14 - Happy Pi Day (have a slice of pie!)
11-15 - Spring Break NO SCHOOL