Changes to the Haiti Project
It has been the hope of many of us at the Haiti Project that the Diocese take a more active interest and role in the structure, day-to-day operations and development of our mission in Jeannette. On April 13th, those hopes took root and we are pleased to announce that the Standing Committee of the DioMil adopted the following proposal:
The Rev. Ann Hallisey’s work with the Reimagining Task Force might help us with this
- Diocesan staff (Fr. Kevin Huddleston), will receive all financial accounts, records, passwords etc. into direct diocesan control. Kevin is working hard to shore up the financial operations of the diocese and is happy to take this on as he works to create a full and complete accounting of all diocesan ministries.
- Until further notice we are suspending the regular operations of the HP Steering Committee. NOTE: If there are key communications that need to be made, or obligations that have been promised or any other business carried on by the Steering Committee that must happen for the sake of continuity, the Standing Committee will be informed about this by contacting The Rev. Andy Jones.
- We will support funding for St. Marc’s School for 2021-2022 school year, utilizing the funds that the Project already has on hand. Of course, new financial gifts to the ministry will be accepted, but not solicited.
- We will continue to fund clinic operations.
- We will continue to fund the College Scholarship Program until all participants have graduated or discontinued with the program.
- We will focus in the coming year on having very intentional and transparent discussions and planning to explore future possibilities and options for this ministry. Members of the Steering Committee and other stakeholders are welcome to be a part of this process.
In adopting this proposal, the Standing Committee observes that:
We have enough money to cover the school – we will engage in conversation while meeting our financial commitments with our partners
What we do next has to look different and carry a different statement about who we are and what we are doing with this ministry
There is a great resource in ERD for reimagining this ministry
Agreeing to bring in outside help will be a change with past practice
what is the appetite for this ministry?
We are excited about the prospect of moving forward with our partners in Jeannette to create a Haiti Project that reflects the successes we've had for the past 35 years in Jeannette. This is an exciting time of transition and growth for the Diocese of Milwaukee, and we look forward to seeing what the future holds for the Haiti Project.
It is time to reassess.
Can this be a central part of who we are as a diocese or is it a niche part of our life together?
We thank you for your generous support over the years and we're ever grateful for your continued support and prayers as we enter into this time of discernment; to listen for the ways that we can best partner with our friends in Jeannette.
If you have ideas you'd like to share, please email your comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org