Monday, 28 May 2018
Digital Digest is a new weekly newsletter aiming to bring a regular helping of really useful information for anyone interested in digital transformation, whether as a leader in an organisation or a practitioner getting on with things.
I've broken everything up into headings in the email below. Hopefully that's helpful - the same headings won't appear every time, but I am sure that over time some will stick around a bit more than others.
As this is very much a new venture, albeit based on previous efforts, I'd be very interested in your feedback. Just hit reply to this email with any thoughts and ideas you have.
- Why your digital transformation strategy shouldn't be predicated on a one size fits all silver bullet - whether in technology or process (by me). Link.
- The Manifesto for Better Public Services is worth checking out. The work of Mark Thompson and Jerry Fishenden, amongst others, it is a continuation of the themes outlined in the Digitizing Government book of a few years ago. Pushing the idea of 'Lego government'. Link.
Tools and techniques
- The LGA have produced a self assessment tool for you to see how mature your organisation is when it comes to the handling of data. It's aimed at local government, but anyone can sign up and have a go. Link.
- Jadu have published a library of processes and forms that their customers are using to digitise services. Not all of it is helpful unless you use their software, but still, openness is good. Link.
- The Ad Hoc Government Digital Services Playbook is packed full of useful advice around transforming services. Link.
- Want to understand the issues surrounding Bitcoin and other blockchain related technology? This submission to a parliamentary enquiry is a very good primer. Link.
- The Government Digital Service blogged about the results of their research into legacy technology in government. Link.
- Adur & Worthing's Paul Brewer wrote a piece about their use of low code to transform services. Link.
- LocalGovCamp is happening this September! Find out all about it and sign up for your place. Link.
- The Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government is running a few events to promote it's upcoming programme of work to encourage more and better digital transformation in local government. Link.
If you're on the lookout for a new public service digital job, then you'd do a lot worse than signing up for Matt Jukes' entirely job-focused newsletter.
- Head of Content at the House of Commons. Link.
- Director, Digital Transformation at Bristol City Council. Link.
That's it for this week. Thanks for reading and please feel free to forward this onto friends and colleagues - and maybe even encourage them to sign up!
If you have any feedback, please just hit reply and send me an email.
Until next time,