Friday, 30th November 2018
Another Friday issue and another short one - reflecting general busy-ness as usual. Really need to carve out some proper time each week to get this done properly, but have fallen out of the habit lately. Anyway, hope you have had a good, productive week!
Remember - if you enjoy this newsletter, others might too! Please forward it on to anybody you think might like it, or encourage folk to sign themselves up! Got something I ought to include? Mail me!
- A load of links relating to Tom Loosemore and Dafydd Vaughan's appearance at the Science and Technology Select Committee talking about digital government, specifically GDS and where it might have lost it's way. There's a lot here but it is worth spending your time on, as there are nuggets of value a plenty:
- First the video recording of the whole thing. Link.
- Dafydd's own summary. Link.
- Computer Weekly's write up. Link.
- Diginomica have a go too. Link.
- Lee Waters, a member of the Welsh Assembly, on leadership's role in digital transformation. Link.
Tools and techniques
- Barcelona have shared their ethical digital standards policy toolkit. I need to dig into this properly but looks a great open sharing of an important piece of the digital place jigsaw. Link.
- Nice video of Will Myddleton talking about what he has learned the hard way about being a great user researcher. Link. (this was in Brighton!! I should have gone.)
- Hackney share their latest progress update. Lovely content, brilliant open working. Link.
- North East Lincs on the importance of data in user centred design. Link.
- Gavin Beckett shares a new digital architecture for Councils, and indeed other organisations, to use. Link.
- Useful thread on the importance of having a go-to toolset for rapid prototyping in real life. Link.
- Come and join Neil, me and a bunch of other lovely digital Croydon people on 4th December. Link.
- LocalGovDigitalCamp is in Exeter on 13th December. Link.
If you're on the lookout for a new public service digital job, then you'd do a lot worse than signing up for Matt Jukes' entirely job-focused newsletter.
- Assistant Director: Digital Transformation, Reading Council. Link.
- Digital Delivery Manager, London Borough Of Waltham Forest. Link.
That's it for this week. Thanks for reading and please feel free to forward this onto friends and colleagues - and maybe even encourage them to sign up!
If you have any feedback, or an idea for something to be included, please just hit reply and send me an email.
Until next time,