Dear <<First Name>>
Over the last few months, we have seen some real victories for the tax justice movement:
- Support at the United Nations for fairer global tax rules
- Commitment to public registers of beneficial ownership in the UK Crown Dependencies
- Suggestions of reform to Capital Gains and Wealth Taxes
- Budget commitment to raise Corporation Tax to 25%
The last of these is particularly interesting. For thirty years, the rate of Corporation Tax has been declining with some politicians even proposing a rate as low as 12.5%. That trend was abruptly ended last week with Rishi Sunak indicating an increase to 25%. Many have suggested the increase may never happen but whether that’s true or not, it does show that an ideological battle has been won. The argument that we have to compete with the tax havens to attract investment to the UK is now dead. Even just an announcement of an increase to 25% has that effect. These victories have all been achieved by you and many others calling for a fairer tax system.
More specifically, for us at Church Action for Tax Justice, we have been delighted that over the last 3 months:
- Two of our reports were debated in the House of Lords
- Over 300 of you have lobbied your MPs for fairer taxes
- Our Fair Tax Now campaign has been covered in over ten different outlets including The Times
- The umbrella body of which we are members has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize
All of this with just a tiny staff team of 1.3 people.
We believe our work is having an impact, and we want it to continue.
Therefore, will you support us in our Easter Fundraising Appeal. We want to raise just £5,000 over the next month so that we can continue running the Fair Tax Now campaign until June and expand its reach. Will you help us achieve that target?
In order to give, please go to this link and choose ‘Church Action for Tax Justice’ from the drop-down menu.
Thank you so much