One day, Jesus said to his disciples, ‘If you love me, you will keep my commandments. Although I am going away in a little while, I will not leave you on your own. I am going to ask God the Father to send an Advocate, his Holy Spirit . It is the Spirit of truth and it will stay with you for ever.’ He continued, ‘The world is not ready for the Holy Spirit, because it does not see or know God’s Spirit. But you will know the Holy Spirit because it will live in you.’
Jesus said, ‘The world will not see me once I have gone away. But you will see me. On that day you will know that I have returned to my Father. And you will know that I live through you and you live through me.
‘There are other people,’ he added, ‘who also love me and keep my commandments. They are loved by both me and my Father and I will show myself to them.’
Talk together with children
- What do you think Jesus means when he says that the Holy Spirit will ‘live in you’?
- Can you think of an example where you’ve kept a rule because you love someone?
- If we love Jesus and try to show his love, what difference might that make to the other people we know?
Talk together with young people
- What does Jesus ask of us?
- What does Jesus promise us?
- Do you find this passage reassuring or challenging? Why?
Praise God with colour
Paint a big heart outline on a large piece of paper and place a selection of coloured paint and paint brushes around it. Encourage the children to use colour to praise God. Ask them to use the colours in the heart to show how it feels to be loved by God.
Photograph your work and send it back to firstname.lastname@example.org to be included in next week's service. You will receive your star.