Founded in 1824, the historic village of Elim is home to the Moravian Mission Station.
The name Elim, meaning "place of God", originates from a biblical reference in Exodus 15:27. After crossing the Red Sea, the Israelites came to Elim, where they found twelve springs and seventy palm trees, and camped near the water.
Cape Agulhas's Elim, like the biblical Elim, is an oasis in its own right. The town and its surrounding vineyards and farms have a lot of natural springs, keeping the water tables healthy.