The UCLA CSEAS application for one undergraduate
Academic Year 2021-2022 FLAS Fellowship is now open!
The Academic Year 2021-2022 Undergraduate FLAS Fellowship provides a total award of $15,000 to one undergraduate student. The FLAS Fellowship requires that the student take one Southeast Asia language and one area studies course every quarter for the entire year. Continuing undergraduate students in any major may apply for Intermediate or Advanced levels of language study.
Currently approved SEA languages are Indonesian, Filipino/Tagalog, Khmer, Thai and Vietnamese. (Intermediate Khmer is available at UCLA via distance learning from UC Berkeley during the academic year.)
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Recipents must enroll in full-time study for the duration of their award period.
Selection for the award is based on the following criteria:
- Academic performance and potential as evidenced by academic transcript, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose;
- The extent to which overall course of study focuses on Southeast Asia;
- The level of planned language study. More advanced levels are preferred;
- Financial need as determined by past financial aid levels;
Required application materials include:
- 1-2 page (double-spaced) statement of purpose outlining primary research interests and explaining how language study will enhance the project and/or career goals;
- 2 academic/professional letters of recommendation;
- unofficial UCLA transcripts and from other institutions (community colleges) for previous college coursework