Here are Five Things to Know this month about riding in and around Rockland County.
- ICYMI: Ride of Silence, Rolling By The River: Thanks to everyone who came out for the May 15 annual RBC Ride of Silence and the June 2 inaugural Rolling By The River "slow roll." The first event is a silent tribute to cyclists who have been injured or killed by crashes with cars; the second was a community outreach to encourage neighbors near the Nyacks and Piermont to dust off their bikes and re-discover the childhood joy of bicycling!
- June events:
- Bicycle Skills training on July 17: Bring your bike and helmet to Rockland Lake State Park at 6:30p when club member and professional trainer Rob Panzera will lead us through a bike riding skills workshop.
- Marshes, sand and suds, something social at Tallman Pool Club on June 26: Let's meet up from 6:30-8p in Tallman State Park, order food and drinks and talk about bikes. The conversation is free, but you're responsible for your own meals and drinks. Please sign up at RocklandBicyclingClub.org, or email RocklandBike@gmail.com for more information.
- What's SUP? The RBC joined sustainability advocates and e-bike owners on 5/31 to meet with NYS Senator David Carlucci to make the case for 24/7 access on the Mario Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge Shared Use Path. In April, the same group spoke with with NYS Assemblyman Ken Zebrowski. The Rockland Sierra Club has joined the Village of Nyack Sustainability Committee to endorse 24/7 operation. Please add your voice to the 450+ signatures on the 24/7 Commuter Bicycle Access for the Mario Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge petition.
- Upcoming Regional Rides
- A B(risk), C(hill) and D(elightful) June 15 RBC ride on the North County Trailway: Ride this scenic Westchester County rail trail from the Saw Mill River Pkwy Eastview Park & Ride to Yorktown Heights. For the rabbits among us, there's a 50 mile B pace ride. For everyone who prefers to ride at a more leisurely C/D pace, there's a shorter, slower 30 mile route. If you've been waiting for a car-free and carefree "off road" ride on paved paths, this route's for you! Sat June 15, 8:30a.
- RBC Tour de Haverstraw, 4th stage of the Rockland County Town tours leading up to the Rockland County Century this fall. 8:30a, June 22.
- Ride for Mental Health: New Paltz, NY. 9a, June 22
- Tour De Kingston and Ulster, six different routes (5, 8, 16, 25, 40, 50) on roads and gravel for all skill levels. 8:30a, June 23.
- Website News:
New member update: A warm welcome to new RBC members Claudia Amon, Elena Bassan-Manga, Kevin Clancy, Robert Clarke, Nick DiBiase, Bill Dunigan, Diane Harper, Nick Johnson, Kathy Peterson, Cynthia Turner, and Jill Wecht. Thanks for joining the Rockland Bicycling Club!
- Signing Up for Rides on our new website: Thinking of joining a ride? Then register as a "Probably riding!" There's no harm in registering and changing your mind later. By registering you will be sure to get updates from the ride leader should any details change between the time the ride was posted and when it's time to roll!
- The next time you log in, you will see a prompt to accept our insurance waiver. This once-a-year acceptance will enable us to do mobile check-in for our rides.
Fun fact for June: The RBC's YTD total of 107 rides has covered 5,112 miles -- the equivalent of riding from Rockland to Mexico City and back.