Here are Five Things to Know this month about riding in and around Rockland County.
- Let's Get Social one more time before the summer's over. Come to the Hudson Water Club to hang with your fellow folks who like spokes. If you missed our June social at the Tallman Pool Club, a good time was had by all! Hope you can join us at 606 Beach Rd, West Haverstraw at 6:30p on Wed Aug 21.
- Orangetown Single File Cycling: The RBC and the BTCNJ met with representatives of the police departments in Piermont and Orangetown on Aug 1 to discuss questions regarding the new law passed in June requiring single file cycling in Orangetown. The cycling community thanks both police departments for their efforts to work collaboratively to address cyclists' concerns.
- Ride -- or volunteer -- for the Ramapo Rally on Sun Aug 18: Here's a shout out to our cycling friends to the south. Choose from six beautiful, fully-supported bike routes varying in difficulty and distance all starting at Campgaw Mountain Ski Area in Mahwah, NJ. Now in it 42nd year, the rally has something for everyone who rides a bicycle, from a family-fun ride of 12 miles to a über-challenging 125 mile route through the farm and lake country of northern and western New Jersey.
For info and registration, visit RamapoRally.com. Volunteers are needed and welcome, too!
- RBC Ride 'Round Rockland Century: Experience the beauty of autumn in Rockland County along some of the most scenic routes in the Hudson Valley! Sponsored by It's Coffee in Stony Point, all routes will start bright and early on Sun Sept 22 from Rockland Lake State Park (Parking Lot #1) at 8a, so choose your route and your coffee accordingly!
- Light Roast (36 miles, 3,800 ft elevation): If you are looking for a shorter route at a more leisurely pace, This Ride's For You. Ride the core of our scenic Rockland roads while skipping the big climbs.
- Half Caff (65 miles, 4,600 ft elevation): This metric century course offers amazing scenery, traveling many of the same roads as the 100-mile ride (skipping Perkins Drive).
- Full Perk (100 miles, 8,000 elevation): Cap off your cycling season with iconic climbs and fast paced downhills. This ride features the climb up Perkins Drive at Bear Mountain, and Mott Farm past Camp Addisone Boyce.
There is no charge for this ride, but registration is required. Not a club member but want to join the fun? Join RBC today and be on the road this weekend! And be in the loop for future rides, meetings and bicycle related news.
- Upcoming Regional Rides
Featured article: Ribbon Cutting for a Fallen Cyclist. Robert Carl Pinckert was killed in a 2003 crash at the intersection where Greenbush Rd and Rte. 303 merge for 1/4 mile. Pinckert's death had one positive result, though: A new bicycle bypass has opened connecting north and south Greenbush Rd. -- by Mike Hays
- RBC rides to NYC Summer Streets: Ride Park Ave car free and carefree during NYC Summer Streets, when seven miles of NYC's streets are closed to vehicular traffic. Meetup in Ft Lee. 9a, Sat Aug 10.
- RBC Tour de Rockland, Orangetown stage, Aug 11
- BTCNJ Ramapo Rally, Aug 18
- Lancaster Covered Bridge Classic, Aug 18 (formerly known as the Covered Bridge Metric Century)
- (the last ever) New York City Century Bike Tour, Sept 8
- Gran Fondo NJ, Sept 8
- RBC Tour de Rockland, Haverstraw stage, Sept 8
- 55th Annual Ride to Montauk, Sept 14
- 2nd Annual RBC Ride 'Round Rockland Century, Sept 22
- Sea Gull Century, Oct 5