The second of the two referenda to be considered at this year's General Election on September 19 concerns proposed cannabis legislation. All registered voters will be offered the following two statements:
- Yes, I support the proposed Cannabis Legalization and Control Bill
- No, I do not support the proposed Cannabis Legalization and Control Bill
The NZ Government has created a site that introduces the referendum, associated legislation, and additional information.
- this referendum is about legalizing cannabis rather than decriminalization;
- this referendum IS NOT about medicinal cannabis. The Medicinal Cannabis Scheme came into effect on 1 May, 2020. You can read more about it here.
- the proposed law would allow individuals to obtain up to 14 grams of dried cannabis per day (approximately 21 'joints' per person, per day)