Wednesday 13.05.2020 (lockdown letter 5 )
Further to our update last night Peter & Bill attended a Video Conference today along with other clubs and the GUI . They were very upbeat about the prospects of golf “very soon “ but unfortunately that decision is in the hands of the Executive. Golf is included in Step 1 of their decision making process so we must continue to do the right things and hopefully they will institute that step asap! They are forwarding instructions and guidelines what format that will entail over the next few days. We have a plan to cope with every outcome so as soon as we receive clear instructions we will be able to pass them on to you. It looks very likely this will involve BRS so anyone who hasn’t registered it would be useful to do this now. Please go to club website-tee reservations and register on the online booking as a member enter user name (8 digit GUI number) create your own password and click sign up. You will receive confirmation within three days . The best way to operate the BRS booking system after you have been accepted is by downloading the BRS app to your phone.
The course is looking superb ! It will be a treat to play when we get back, the green staff are working very hard to make sure it will be perfect when that time comes. A few volunteers have been able to do some essential maintenance all of which has been approved by the head greenkeeper in conjunction with the course convenor. I have asked Davy Glover the course convenor to look at repositioning some of the winter greens to different locations where we can take advantage of the current lockdown conditions so we can have better temporary’s this year and for years to come. Ken has agreed and some of them will be re-turfed, levelled or will get extra maintenance /protection or fertiliser prior to the winter. I have asked Davy to form a greens committee to look at all aspects of the course where they view minor alterations would improve playability to run it past the Head Greenkeeper and where necessary seek Council / Budgetary Approval.
Bill is working on a prototype winter tee box which he will be able to demonstrate in due course and he and I have been looking at a way of providing 9 holes of winter golf when the course is open for members who require buggies.
The work round the clubhouse is superb Bill and myself are up most days its brilliant to see what the guys are doing and giving their time and labour free for the benefit /improvement of the club. We have also received a number of donations for materials (some anonymously) including a brand new compressor. I will be very surprised if you aren’t impressed with our efforts especially when the bulk of the cost was a heck of a lot of paint ! All necessary work is now almost completed, if you are thinking of coming to the club for a walk bear in mind the lockdown conditions still apply and the police visit the course daily.
I have finally got my pole on 16 ! , I have paid for it myself as I am not sure it will stand our windy conditions but I have another in reserve and we can reposition . The money I raised on 13 last captains day will go to course improvements .
As I have said in previous bulletins I am delighted to advise no member has made enquiries re cancelling membership which is great backing for our club . Finally I am unaware of the dreaded COVID-19 virus directly affecting a club member or their families so hopefully that continues.
Stay safe and hopefully see you soon
Joe, Bill and Peter.